Yes, this is how all of my cooking/baking thoughts go..it is what do I have on hand? What is easy to make? And of course, what do I want to eat?
~Adapted from Joy the Baker
Makes: 6 scones
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 T honey (not needed if use French vanilla or coconut milk yogurt)
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
6 T unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup yogurt (preference: French vanilla or coconut milk)
Joy the Baker makes her scones with greek yogurt and honey. I played with the recipe and I found the french vanilla yogurt to taste the best. Another good substitue is coconut milk yogurt. Both of these made the scones more creamy and fluffy.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
4. Place 2 T of yummy sugar mixture into mixing bowl with dry ingredients (remaining sugar will be used for tops of scones).
5. Next is the messy part! The grapefruits must be dissected…there are two ways with both of them ending in a mess Cut the top and bottom of the grapefruit off. Then either slice around each section so that they fall out or tightly cut around edge of skin to pull flesh out as a whole. Each piece can then be separated from each other. Slice pieces of grapefruit to bite size.
6. Dice chunks of butter into the flour mixture. Work the mixture together, using your hands, until all the butter is pea-size.
7. Add the yogurt and grapefruit to the mix.
8. Spread the dough onto a floured surface and make into a circle with about a 1 inch thickness. Slice the scones into 6 triangles.
9. Place scones onto baking sheet. Rub milk, buttermilk or similar ingredient onto tops of scones. Top the scones with the rest of the sugar mixture.
10. Place on the middle rack in the oven.
Scones will bake for about 15 minutes but check after 10 minutes. Place a toothpick through the center of the largest scone to determine whether they are done.
These scones are SO delicious! I bake them for breakfast but they could easily serve as a dessert with some devonshire cream (will supply this recipe when it is fully perfected). This may even become a grapefruit series!
Rockin’ out to:
~Daylight by Matt & Kim (my motivational music to study!)